Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Pride and Prejudice the New vs. A&E



Well, last night I watched the new version of "Pride and Prejudice" and thought I might do a post on what I thought about it. Now so as not to hurt anyone's feelings who likes this movie, let me put this in context. I think it is an enjoyable movie. What I am doing here is comparing it to the A&E version which I grew up with and is longer, so I of course I liked it better (Who would not like more Pride and Prejudice anyway?) So here it goes!


In the new Pride & Prejudice, because it is so short, it does a very bad job at explaining everything and hardly introduces someone before kicking them under the rug. (if it introduces them at all) And so the movie as a whole is a bit of a blur of people showing up and disappearing. It also jumps from place to place, so that if you had not seen the A&E or had not read the book you would most likely have no idea where anyone was. Example: Elisabeth comes back from visiting the Collins and she is told that her aunt and uncle are there, yet they are never introduced. The next thing you know is that some people suggest to Elizabeth that perhaps she might enjoy going with them to some place, and before she even says yes they are off and she is suddenly standing on the edge of a cliff. Now of course most people can later sort out what happened but while your watching a movie you should not have to be sitting there trying to figure out who on earth is that person and how do they fit in. Some of the other things I objected to was the way they changed the characters of certain people. Take Mr. Bingley for example. In the A&E version he may not be the brightest, but he was fairly well spoken and gentlemanly. In the new version he is a complete bumbling idiot that looks like he just stepped out from a Dr. Seuss movie. And his proposal was terrible! Could they not think of anything better for him to say if they were going to make you listen to it? And then having him go in to visit Jane when she is sick! GOOD GRIEF! She was in her nightgown! Gentlemen did not go into ladies rooms when they were in there nightgowns! Not to mention he did not even knock! Speaking of men not knocking, what was that when they had Mr. Darcy blow in upon Lizzy when he went to propose for the first time and couldn't? Or worse when they had him slip into her room to deliver his letter while she was in her nightgown!? I mean that is also a big no, no! Going in to a room of a house that you just arrived at, is not yours, and you are not currently staying at, and then bursting in upon a lady without being announced or even knocking! I loved the way the A&E Darcy perfected looking cold and aloof in the beginning and later ''all ease and friendliness'' as Mrs. Gardiner put it, mixed with warmth and love for Elizabeth. Whereas the other Darcy perfected looking asleep, drowsy, and bored. Another thing I must say I did not like as well was the dancing. It like much of the rest of the movie lacked the grace, charm, and elegance of the A&E. I think by now y'all have got my gist that I think they could have done a better job on the movie. An extra thirty minutes would not have hurt, so that they could either explain more or at least let the actors slow down there lines a little so that you can understand what they were saying. Oh! And they could have cut out all those disgusting statues at Pimberly that they threw in! But I am getting side tracked again. It could be a very enjoyable movie if you did not do like me a keep up a running commentary up the whole time with your sister while watching it. Comparing it in every little way and detail to the A&E version. There are a lot more things I could say about my likes and dislikes of the movie but I shall not make you put up with that now. Oh! I must say that I loved the music though!

The Texan~

6 Remarks:

Hannah Leigh said...

Hey Rebecca,
How are you guys doing? (I heard that there was a hurricane hitting down at the coast, please e-mail me and tell me how you guys are doing or call me at: 336-372-5432.)

What does A&E stand for?
Just curious.

-Rose

SavannahLynn said...

Hey Rebecca,
You are right about the A&E version it is way better!!!And I did not like
Keira Knightley as Elisabeth(do you agree)she did not do a very good job.
I also like Mr. and Mrs.Bennett in the old movie way better than the new.
But I have to give one good complement on the new because I still do like it,I think that the Mr.Darcy in the new movie is more handsome than the Mr.Darcy in the old.All though the picture you have on your blog does not do Him justice and yes he dose look quit sleepy!
Lots of Love
Savannah

Rebecca said...

Hey y'all,
Well I still do like the Mr. Darcy better in the A&E version, I think he plays the part better so since he plays it better I do not care what he looks like. :) and I guess it is a ok movie in and of itself but if I am ever in the mood for Pride and Prejudice I will most likely go with the good old six hour long A&E version. But I guess perhaps I should watch the new one again because when Jo and I watched it we were having fun trying to find every little fault with it that we could. :)
Hannah sorry I forgot to explain in the post what A&E stood for. What I was referring to when I said A&E was a different version that had come out as a TV show and is was done by the A&E company.

I love both of y'all
Rebecca

Rebecca said...

OH! Savannah,
BTW I do agree that they could have found someone better to play the part of Elisabeth.

Unknown said...

Hi! I found your blog on Rose's blog. It looks really neat!
And although I haven't seen the newer version, just from looking at the pictures I've seen, it look ridiculous compared to the older one. And from your description it sounds even worse than I thought!
Anyway, nice blog!
Feel free to drop by my blog.

Madison from Madison's Musings

Rebecca said...

Hi Madison,
The new Pride and Prejudice is ok I guess if you do not compare it to the older one, what I said on the blog were the worst parts of it. But still if you do not see it you are not missing all that much. :)
Rebecca