Tuesday, November 11, 2008

In honor of a veteran.

This is a post with pictures of my grandfather during World War II.  


This picture is of the 325th air squadron.
The man on the bottom row 8th one from the left is my wonderful Grandfather.


This is a picture of my grandpa with some of his buddies in Germany 1944.
Left to right there is: 
Sgt. Robert Longstreet Sgt. Old Doc Sgt. Cantansere
Cpl. Roman Martinez (my grandpa) Lt. Robert Hill

Here are two old poems that we have. One is to my grandpa from his best buddy the other is from him to my grandma.


This one says.

To my pal Marty,                                         
 Fraternity-Arises

Now that the was is over
And the fighting is all done,
A soldiers heart reflects
The glorious battle won.

His mind will tell of comrades
Who fought on by his side,
Who may have dropped and died
To stop the coming tide.

Some will keep their thoughts inside
And speak no boastful tone,
Their hearts have beared intensive pain
And this they can't condone.

Other voices speak their pride,
Their eyes saw no unkind,
They'll picture paint the glory
Of battles left behind.

These boys have fought together
And shard the battles toil,
they've watched the cities of the world
ground up in the soil.

But still there's something finer
Accomplished in this war,
'Brotherhood and love of man',
Now, thats worth fighting for.

                           S/Sgt Longstreet
                                           "The Green Hornet"



You and I - Darling

Within our souls emotion rise,
To stir the love between us,
And make us feel the courage there
So full, superlative and luxurious.

There is no discourse to mar our path,
While travelling through lifes way,
Our joyous hearts submerge the bad,
To leave a future in each day.

A world at reast cannot inspire the peace
That's found by you and I,
We have no raging fire to hide,
No troubled - hardened sigh.

Our hearts are toned as if in song,
A meaning all their own,
Loyalty - Love - Devotion true
Is all we shall condone.

Why all these wondrous moments be,
no words could rightly phrase,
Because our minds cannot invent
A meaning to this joyous daze.


My grandfather was a tail gunner in a B-17 bomber during the war. His two planes were the "Virgin Vampire" and the "Frisco Trudy". Most of the war he was stationed in Ireland but he also spent some time in Germany, England, France and a few other places.

These next two pictures were taken right after the war ended.

German U-Boat coming into Irish harbor to surrender

So is this one-


This last picture is of Grandpa with his good buddy Sgt. Robert Longstreet

3 Remarks:

SavannahLynn said...

That's really cool,all those pictures and poems from your Grandpa!!

Lauren said...

Oh, the poems are soo special Rebecca! I nearly cried in the one to your Grandma. It is hard to even imagine what the long times of separation must have been like for men and their families in those times! It makes me feel grateful for what we have today, at least my dad can have allot more communication when he is away than they did those days.

In Christ,
Lauren Ashley

Rebecca said...

Hey Y'all,
It really is special to have these I am so thankful for them. I really enjoyed typing out the poems it kinda make me feel as if I was a part of it all. :)

I can't wait to see both of you when y'all come down it will be so much fun.

Rebecca Marie